Wolf Patrol
135th Troop, Manchester
Central High School Scouts.

The Log Book was written in 1927 by John Arthur Jennings. He started the Log on 20th October 1927 and continued until 3rd August 1928. when he became scout leader of a new patrol, later to be called the 'The Wolf Patrol'. The Log is beautifully written and illustrated and shews a simple innocence in the everyday pleasures to be had by both boys and girls in the 1920's. There is a strong slant on tidiness and 'correct' or polite behaviour.

The artist of the delightful sketches is the A.S.M. (Assistant Scout Master). He appears in one of the photographs sitting on a biscuit tin attempting to draw a scene. He appears along with the Scout Master. A small clue to his identity is Jack's comment that the A.S.M. allowed Jack to insert a larger sketch is signed C.B. July 1928.

Jack's Boy Scout enrolment card survives and it records: John Arthur Jennings, 135th Troop, Manchester (Central High School Scouts); enrolment 16th October 1926, aged 13 years & 7 months. He became a 2nd class scout on 3rd Dec. 1926 of the Swift Patrol. On the reverse of the card is written: John Arthur Jennings: You are now a Scout. I trust you on your honour at all times to do your best to carry out your Duty; and to do a good turn to somebody every day. R Baden Powell, Chief Scout.

Example of Jack's work.

John Arthur Jennings, known to his family as Jack, was born on 10th February 1912. He was the son of Margaret and Arthur Jennings and brother to Madeleine. They were brought up in Manchester where the family ran the Antrim hotel in Oxford Road. He was married three times and spent much of his life in Weymouth Dorset where he was a bank manager on Portland Bill. He did not have any children. In the 1990`s he gave this scout log to his niece Joy (Madeleine`s daughter and now Joy Rawes) for safekeeping, he was obviously proud of it and wanted to see it survive. It is hoped that the log will be passed on to the Scouts. Jack passed away at Weymouth in 2005.

Following the Log are a series of verses and Jack's enrolment card.

Jack Jenning's log was transcribed by Bryant Bayliffe of Brockworth.

Joy and Julian Rawes, Crooked Walls, Harvington 2015.




                135th M/c Troop

Kept By         P.L. A.J. Jennings.

On Thursday, October 20th 1927, a Court of Honour was held during the dinner-hour. There, it was decided to form a new patrol, owing to the other patrols being somewhat crushed. My name was first put forward as the prospective leader.

At dinner-time on Friday the 21st, the S.M. told me the news and I was promoted from second of the Swifts to lead the new patrol, which was, as yet without a name. After school, that day, I met the first member of my patrol. His name was Gordon Daniel Davies. He had been in a troop previously, so he knew something about

the movement.

The first patrol meeting was held on Thursday the 27th of October. Here I met two more members of my patrol, viz., George Lewis and Bernard Brannen. Lewis and Brannen were set to work learning Scout Law. I then tested Davies, and he passed his Tenderfoot Test. Towards the end of the meeting we held a Council, and it was decided that we should be called the Wolf Patrol. This is the first animal that we have had in the troop for a long time. The S.M. then appeared on the horizon, which showed that it was time to “pack up”, so I gave Davies, Lewis and Brennen a lesson on the “dismiss” and then dismissed them.

All the members of the patrol turned up at the patrol meeting on Nov. 4th.

We have to record, with great regret, that one of our members has left, almost before he joined. He said that he could not afford to buy his uniform. His name is Lewis. However to balance this loss we got a new member in the shape of Jack Greening. He has been in the troop for a year or so, and is therefore of good help to me, as all the other members are “tenderfoots”, excepting perhaps Davis, who is attending the classes which are being held for the Fireman’s and Missioner’s Badges.

It appears that we have not what one would call exactly a patrol of artists, and much amusement was had from attempts made to draw the patrol sign. However, we could all make a fairly good reproduction of a wolf’s head by the end of the meeting.

During the meeting, the patrol was divided into three couples in order to facilitate instruction. Davies showed Bullivant, who is another new member, the knots. Greening did the same service for Brannen, while I took the Scout Law and signs with Hamnett. After a while we “swopped” round, and so each of the “tenderfoots” had a round of knots, Scout Law, and signs.

The patrol is certainly full of life, and I am sure that they will make good scouts. Brannen has soon shown his qualities as a humourist, and he is truly very funny at times.

It can be said with much honour, that the Wolves topped the subscription list for a wreath, by having 2/- to their credit. The wreath was placed on the Memorial in the School Hall.

At the patrol meeting on November 11th, the

“Tenderfoots” were taken a step further in their training. All the patrol were present. Bullivant & Davies and Jack Greening are attending classes for the Fireman’s Badge, as I also am doing. Greening and I have already got the badge, but we are going in for it again, in accordance with the rules. Davies is also attending a class for the Missioner badge.

A field day for the troop was held on Saturday Nov. 12th 1927. We went to Dunham Park, and then on to Millington. The Wolves were in the party which laid the trail. However, through some fault made by the followers, in Altrincham, they arrived at the “battle-ground” before us. We were therefore compelled to take the offensive.

The other party guarded their flag on the opposite of the Canal. We succeeded

in crossing the canal, and a fight took place in the wood. Through lack of strategy, we lost. We divided into two parties, so as to attack from both sides, but each party attacked at different times. In the second fight however we were victorious. We kept together, and tackled each one of the enemy, separately.

After the games, an investiture was held, and Davies was amongst those who were invested. He had try at his firelighting but was not successful. I passed Besford for his firelighting, and Hammond for his firelighting and cooking. He cooked some jolly “posh” ham.

We went on to Millington to tea, and there walked to Altrincham, from whence we got the train home.

The full patrol turned up at a meeting on Friday Nov. 16th. I tested Bullivant

on his Tenderfoot knowledge. He passed.

At a meeting on Fri Nov. 25th, there were again no absentees Hamnett passed his Tenderfoot test, and then he and Bullivant were approved of by the S. M. There were a few bouts with the boxing gloves, and also with the single-sticks, of which we have just got a new pair. Brannen is now the only one in the patrol without his Tenderfoot badge. At a council, it was decided that the patrol motto should be “Get there”.

On Friday Dec 2nd, a patrol meeting was held. All the patrol turned up, except Hamnett, who is absent from school. A new recruit named Robert Conwell was placed in our patrol. Greening instructed him in the Tenderfoot Tests. I gave the others a lesson on the “first-aid” for the “Second Class”. Brannen passed his Tenderfoot

Test. Brannen and Bullivant passed their Kim’s Game.

There was a field day at Coomb’s Rocks on Sat 3rd. Only Hamnett and Bullivant were absent. We got the train to Mottram. The “Wolves” were in the leading party, and the A.S.M came with us. We lost all the scraps. We were sent off part of the “edge” by a ratty farmer, in the middle of the flag raid. Tea was made for us at Charlesworth. We came home in the brake-van.

Everyone but Bullivant was present at the patrol meeting on Fri Dec 9th. He is away from school. Canwell passed his “Tenderfoot”, and the others practised signalling in the dining hall. Conwell is quite a conjuror and he made a penny disappear for us. We decided to do a little sketch for the Christmas Social.

We held a special private meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 13th. Our object was to read through the sketch which we are going to act. The sketch is called “Clever Eric”, or “Much too Much”. Hamnett is the old woman, Conwell is the villain, Brannen is the Boy Scout, and Greening is the villain’s daughter.

There was a patrol meeting on Friday Dec 16th. We continued rehearsing our sketch, which is coming on famously.

Another rehearsal took place on Tues the 29th. This was the last one.

Ah! The exclamation is one of joy. There was great feeding in the camp of the Centralites on Wed 21st Dec. It was the Christmas social. Tables of scrumptious grub met our gaze when we entered the library at 3.45pm prompt.

After we had all eaten our fill, (and perhaps a little more), we trooped up to the drawing-hall, and spent some

time in listening to the attempts of certain individuals to entertain us. Hammond gave us a few songs, Mr Birkly presented his hardy perennial, Conwell gave a conjuring exhibition, and “US”, we presented our little sketch. What’s that I hear you say? No, you are wrong. We did not receive any belated Easter gifts. Two scouts from another troop were good enough to come and give a display of rope-spinning. Just as we were in the height of our amusement, the clock struck two. “Alas!” said the S.M. “That’s 6 mins to 6. We’ll have to go now or we’ll be interfering with the night-school”.

The first patrol meeting of the New Year was held on Friday the 13th of Jan: What an unlucky day! However everything went well all right. At the next meeting on the 20th Jan. I gave my chaps a lesson on Ambulance. A meeting was held on Wed the 25th instead of the 27th, because of the Divisional Social. It was rather unexpected, I think, because only Hamnett turned up. We started the patrol competition in fine style, scoring ten points for the “Scout Law” on the 27th Hamnett represented us.

On the same day, the annual Divisional Social was held at the Y.M.C.A. in Peter’s Street. It was a grand affair, but unfortunately, I was the only Wolf present. None who were there will forget it. Dr Hyslop’s cinematograph

was exceptionally good, and Mr ----‘s judging of the musical (?) competition was extremely funny.

As usual, a patrol meeting was held on Friday, Feb 3rd. Brannen represented our patrol in the test on the Union Jack for the Patrol Shield. However, he did not do as well as he might have done, only gaining 7 out of a possible 10 points. This puts us second to the Owls. Anyway, we’ll have to pull up next week.

At the meeting on Friday, 10th Feb those present had a lesson on Ambulance. Davies absent from school with the measles. Jack Greening did the Signs for us in the Patrol Competition.

This week, the patrol meeting was held on Thurs Feb 16th, because of the holiday on Friday. Jack Greening and I were the only two present. He again represented our patrol in the Competition, doing

the “Compass”. Davies is still away from school.

Got a new member in the patrol, this week, Fri. Feb 24th. His name is Arthur Yoxall, (He must be a good Scout if he is gifted with my “label”). Conwell did the “Uses of the Scout Stave” in the Scout Competition. We still have to report the absence of Davies. We are leading in the Patrol Competition.

As usual, a patrol meeting was held on Friday, March 2nd. We welcomed Davies back again, but Brannen was now absent. Another recruit joined this week, in the shape of J.E. Flynn. He says he has to grow a bit, so we are going to stretch him!

Bullivant did the “Kim’s Game” for the Patrol Competition, and scored 6 points. We have still a lead of two points.

At the patrol meeting on March 9th we got the record amount in subs, so far 1/3. Everybody turned up except Conwell. Yoxall passed his “Tenderfoot test”. Greening did the “Ambulance”

section of the Patrol Competition, scoring six points. Our lead has now decreased to 1 point.

Alderly Edge was honoured by our presence on March 10th, when there was a troop field day, and we walked from there to Prestbury. We visited the copper mines, and we there came back into the wood, and, after giving some “hush money” to a keeper, we indulged in a few games, one of which was “Bomb-laying”.

After lunch we walked to Prestbury. We had a sing-song in the tea hut, and also visited the old church and Norman Chapel. Some chaps “clubbed” together to buy a ball, and after tea we had a game of “footer”. In conclusion, we held an investiture ceremony, during which a snow blizzard took place. Yoxall and Hamnett were invested. We, or rather they, got the train at Prestbury Station. However, I missed the train through having left my pack in the waiting room. I landed home an hour later, and several degrees colder. The

outing was a great success. Greening being the only absentee in our patrol. The weather was decidedly curious – Sunshine and snow together.

Davies did the Scout Pace in the Patrol Competition on March 16th. A patrol meeting was held on the same day. Cornwell was absent. Bullivant passed over the Scout Pace, and Hamnett and Brannen practised signalling. Flynn was coached in his “Tenderfoot”.

All were present at a patrol meeting on March 23rd. Some signalling was done, and I told Yoxall some Ambulance. There was no patrol competition.

Flynn passed his Tenderfoot on March 30th, all the rest of the patrol being present. I told them all how to light fires.

The test for the Fireman’s Badge took place on Sat March 24th. Davies and I attended, and both of us passed. This is my second time.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the Field

Day held at Paynton Woods on Sat March 31st. All were present except Greening, Conwell, and myself. Flynn was invested.

A General view of the Field.

We met for the first time after the Easter holidays on April 27th. All were present except Bullivant and Hamnett, the latter being away from school. We had a talk on Ambulance, and then a little chat about camp.

Only three were present at the meeting on May 4th. They were Yoxall, Flynn and myself. We did nothing in particular. Hamnett is still away from school.

Rather a hurried meeting was held on May 11th because I had to go out early. I just collected the subs, announced the news and then dismissed them.

On Sat May 12th we had a new kind of field-day. We played no games. We took the 9.20 train from London Road to Hayfield. We walked across Kinder Scout to the Snake Inn, not forgetting to “snake” in. Just then as we were walking along the road, the mist started dropping. However, it did not dampen our spirits. We turned to the right from the road, into Doctor’s Gate Culvert, and made

The Wolves Lair.

our way into Glossop via Doctor’s Gate. It was a jolly good walk of fifteen miles, and though some of the younger chaps were absolutely fagged, they would not admit themselves beaten. We entrained in the 5.10 from Glossop, arriving in Manchester 6.0pm. The outing was slightly spoilt by the mist up in the hills.

There was the usual weekly meeting, but it was held on Thurs. this week, owing to the Matric forms having exams on the Friday. Greening, Davies, Hamnett, and Bullivant did not turn up.

During the following week we started packing for camp, and for that reason there was no patrol meeting.

Whitsuntide Camp

Camp started on Friday May 25th. We left London Road Station on the 12.10 train. We had a reserved “through” coach, and were shunted at Buxton. At 2.40pm we arrived at Hartington, where we loaded our “doings” on the waiting lorry. Several of us loaded ourselves on whilst the remainder

walked to the camping site. We dumped the boxes in the field, and when the other Scouts arrived, the tents were put up in semicircular formation.

Meanwhile, the ”Wolves” got tea ready. I dug a trench and got a fire going, and soon tea was ready. Tom Brownsett did the cooking after tea, giving us a chance to pitch our tent, which was the “Niger”. We did not sleep very well the first night.

Being orderlies we were up at half past four. Breakfast was served in fine time. For dinner we had “dollop” and semolina pudding, and, thanks to my very good cooking (ahem!) there were no complaints. In the evening a C.O.H. was held. We had a sing-song at supper time, retiring early and sleeping soundly all night.

Sun. 27/V/28. Conwell was orderly today, so he was up first in our tent. At the tent inspection in the morning we got 9½ points. The morning was free, and so was the afternoon, after a good dinner of roast. Most of us went bathing in the

The Light Railway Engine.

A cow? watering in the R. Manifold. "Another little Drop."

river. In the evening we went to a curious little church in Warslow, and tea was served when we came back.

Mon 28/X/28. We were all up with the lark in the morning – at least the cuckoo was up. WE went on the Light Railway to Thor’s Cave, and there we took a flashlight photograph. After climbing on to the top of Beeston Tor, we walked on to Alton, and had lunch there. While lunching we saw some sheep being dipped.

After lunch we went on thro’ Dovedale, which was fearfully crowded, and saw some more Scouts camping there. Going thro’ Colton we arrived at Waterhouses to find that the next train did not run for two hours. Fortunately we succeeded in persuading the Station-Master to run a special train for us.

On our return to camp, after an eighteen miles walk, we found the County Commissioner waiting for us, He went after tea, and then

The Never-ending Queue.

Visitors Day, Prize-giving.

Commissioner Nather came, and stayed the night. As usual, the dinner was spoiled, being burned to a cinder by Hayes.

Tues. 29/V/28. The Commissioner came round with the S.M. in the morning, and we got 10 points. Black & T Brownsett went home. I got out the programme for visitor’s day in the morning. Greening went on his journey with Hammond. The morning and afternoon were free. Some went out walking, while others stayed in the camp, and practised throwing the gub-hammer. There was a sing-song in the evening several people from the farm being present. We had a good entertainment with Hayes’s flute, and two barguleles. [baritone ukuleles?]

Wed.30/V/28. Today was Visitor’s Day, and Lighton was “super”. The morning was spent in preparing for the sports, and after dinner, the visitors started rolling up. It was an ideal day as far as the weather was concerned. The sports were a great success. Everybody enjoyed them, as well as the swimming display given by Besford, which took

The Manifold Valley Camp.

The Camp in Hartington Square.

place afterwards. After tea, the visitors went. Greening came back, but slept in Whitworth’s because two brothers of Hamnett’s slept the night in our tent. They did kick up an awful row, not being used to camp, and I kicked them out at half-past-three.

Thurs.31/V/28. In the morning we walked thro’ Beresford Dale, arriving finally in Hartington. This was rather fortunate, because, being last day, we all wanted to “buy-in” for the “beano”. On the way home, we saw a small flour-mill at work. After lunch Hamnett went home. Hammard came into our tent for the night, and we spent the afternoon packing up. After dinner of roast, we had our last sing-song. Then came the “beano”, gee! what a wonderful feed we had.

Fri.1/VI/28. somehow or other we managed to extricate ourselves from the debris in the morning, but none of us had any breakfast. We packed our kit and then took our tent down. Everything went fine and we were ready in excellent time. We

School Sports 1928 - "A well-earned rest."

were fortunate enough to get a reserved “through” coach on the return journey, and after taking the things to school, we went home, feeling highly pleased with ourselves.

On Thurs. June 7th a patrol meeting was held at which all were present, save Greening and Conwell. We had a talk about camp, and then went on to Ambulance. Whilst at camp, Conwell, Brannen & Hamsett passed their Second-Class firelighting and cooking tests.

At the patrol meeting on Fri. June 15th, a new recruit joined us, called Harry Swift. I gave him a lesson the “Tenderfoot” tests, and he has promised to come to the Midsummer Camp. Meanwhile, Greening, and the others present, practised signalling in the Hall. The only absentees were Davies, Brannen and Bulivant.

Fri June 22nd was Open Day at school, and being on duty at the Scout Exhibit, I had to cancel

the patrol meeting. The Scout Exhibit was a great success, and I am sure that it has greatly increased the number of our supports. Without exaggeration I think I can say that this log-book of ours was one of the most interest-compelling exhibits.

Seven scouts turned up at the patrol meeting on June 29th.The questions for the patrol leaders were set on the same afternoon, so Second Scout Mundy of the Eagles took my patrol. The reason why I let him take them was that he is going to Disley with us, instead of Greening to compete for the Well’s Shield. By the way, the Disley patrol is Jennings, Mundy, Downward, Davies, Brannen, & Bullivant, and the competition is to take place on Saturday July 14th and onwards. Mundy gave the patrol talk on direction finding under varying conditions. This was the last patrol meeting of the year, because of the interference of Matriculation and our own school exams.

The dread news that there was to be no competition


at Disley, was conveyed to me on Tues. July 10th when I went down to school to arrange things. It appeared that the exams at the Grammar School made the event impossible.

Packing up started at the beginning of the last week, and everything was safely packed in good time.

Then, on Wed. July 18th a long awaited happening took place. We held our braking-up social. My word! We did have a spiffing time too. After the tea; I can tell you, it was some feed; Mr Carruthers presented the prizes for the Camp essay, the leaving presents, and the Patrol Shield. Lighton won the first prize with his essay, and G. Williams came second. Leaving presents were given to the three P.Cs: Fletcher, Lighton & G. Williams. Last of all, but far remote from least, the patrol shield was presented to us. We won it by three points, The Owls being runners-up.

Having distributed all the prizes, Mr Carruthers

sat down. – (When I saw him stand up I thought he looked rather loth to leave his tea) The Chief passed through, and gave us his best wishes. After one or two more speeches we left the dining room and went up into the drawing hall for the concert. Among the numerous items was a solo by the S.M, and after Mr Birkby’s old original, which was this time a ballad on “Good Times”. A very interesting item was a display of rope-spinning, by S.L. Cartland (not of our troop) in the course of which he put his coat on without stopping the rope. Helped down with several of our own community songs, the entertainment went swimmingly, and all were disappointed when we had to close, and wend our wear ways home.

However we did not have long to wait before we departed for Robin Hood’s Bay, on July 20th, to camp there for a fortnight. – but more of that later!

Robin Hood's Bay.

July 20th - Aug 3rd 1928. - Robin Hood's Bay.

Midsummer Camp.

The long-awaited day had arrived, and 10.40am, on the morning of Friday, July 20th saw us rolling out of Victoria Station, comfortably installed in a private coach. Except for the usual scraps, nothing of much interest happened on the way. In fact, by the time we arrived, most of the scouts looked decidedly fatigued, - but that quickly wore off! We were shunted at York, from whence we continued until we reached Scarborough. There, we were again shunted. This time on to an ancient local, which took us slowley, but not so very surely, to Robin Hood Bay.

Arrived at our destination, we had rather a job to fix all our luggage on to the transport, which consisted of a farm-cart, drawn by two horses, and which reminded one of the “Covered Wagon”. There was a beautiful hill from the station to the camp site, and for

every yard the cart went forward, it slipped back two. However, after numerous halts, and no more serious an accident than the precipitation of one of the A.S.M.’s, new fangled ideas (the latest thing in boxes), we arrived at the field. The horses pulled the cart right up to the middle of the field, which was on a slope, and, in doing thereof, succeeded in “running over” some unfortunate’s rucsac. But these were minor details.

The luggage was gently tipped off the cart, which then “s’ en alla”. Whilst we were all engaged in pitching our tents and “bagging” ground sheets, Kirkley prepared the tea, which was jolly welcome. Fortunately, the Wolves again had the “Niger” tent, but we shared it with Second Scout Mundy, who was the only representative of the Eagles.

As is always the case on the first night, there was very little sleep. Being on duty on Saturday, I was up early and so were my orderlies, “Brennan, Yoxall & Morris”, the latter being

The Camp Site.

a Swift. However, early though we were, there were plenty already up, and I had plenty of willing helpers.

Breakfast was served in good time, and no one complained of the standard, so it may be presumed that it was high enough. A tent inspection was held after breakfast, and we got 9 points out of a possible 10.

That old veteran “Dollop” was dished up for dinner, despite the fact that the numbers of the onions and carrots had greatly decreased while the orderlies were peeling them. The dollop was followed by its bosom pal, the equally time-honoured semolina pudding. For some reason the semolina refused to set and it was served in a rather mobile state, - without raisins!

Tea consisted solely of bread & jam, so we had a quiet afternoon, while the remainder dug the lats. And erected the flag-pole. The A.S.M. turned up in the evening, and things were accordingly straightened. Whilst making the porridge for

Leader of the Wolves.

the next morning several youngsters began to gather round the fire and throw sods and cinders about. When doubtful objects started getting in the porridge, I got slightly aerated, and I threw the handle of a bug-hammer at Bray. Unfortunately he ducked, and it caught him a lovely blow on his left temple. He was taken to the officer’s tent, bleeding profusely, but after a visit to the doctor, he was all right again. After supper we had a sing-song.

About lunch-time another troop of Scouts marched up and camped on the same farm as us. We later learnt they were the 4th Dewsbury Troop.

The next day being Sunday, we hurried through tent inspection, for which we again got nine then, immediately after flag parade we had a Church Parade. I went to the Wesley chapel with most of the Wolves. After, we all went for a walk on the beach. We came back to a dinner which was excellent, except

The View from the field.

for the absence of the vegetable – I believe the peas got lost in the fog. (It was a pea-soup fog).

Our first bathing parade took place in the afternoon. Mr Wilkinson, a master from Chetham’s College, with whom we became very friendly took us to a convenient and safe spot, just at the mouth of Mill Beck. The evening was free, and most of the Scouts split up into twos and threes, in order to explore the neighbourhood. After supper we all went to bed and slept soundly.

Kit inspection took place on Monday morning, and the Wolves got ten points. We had our first excursion. The A.S.M. was in charge and we walked to Ravenscar over the moors. It was a walk too! We were half way through our lunch when we found that we were sitting on a colony of ants. We got up quickly enough! We lit all the brushwood around, in an attempt to exterminate the ants, but as soon as we wiped one lot, another crowd took its place.

On our arrival at Ravenscar we

The Camp Scribes.

raided the local mineral water supplies, and I am sure that the owner must have made a fortune that afternoon. Ravenscar, I omitted to say, is on the opposite point of the bay to Robin Hoods’ Bay. After having restored our vigour, and, been entertained by Fletcher, we set off on the return journey which was along the cliff path and then along the beach. We reached camp tired but happy. After the dinner was over, the S.M. of the Dewsbury’s came across to us and we arranged an inter-troop sports programme. The Dewsbury troop is rather a novelty to us, most of the scouts going about in Oxford-bags, or plus-fours all the time. We spent the evening playing cricket and then had sing-song.

The A.S.M. inspected us on Tuesday morning, and he didn’t half hurry! The Wolves again got ten points. After flag parade, the list of events for the sports was put on the notice board. The morning was free and while others were playing cricket or climbing the cliffs, our publicity agents

The Chariot Race.

After the Sports.

(Mundy and I) were engaged in writing posters advertising the sports. In the afternoon the posters were placed at advantageous spots in the village.

After a dinner of roast lamb and peas, we all went down to the village and invited as many people as possible to the sports. Some enterprising scouts wrote notices on the sand. There was no sing-song , so we went to bed early, so as to be in the best of trim the next day.

On Wednesday morning the Wolves got ten for tent inspection. After Flag Parade the names were taken for the sports, and then a few of our scouts went across to the Dewsbury Camp in order to arrange the programme for the afternoon. Whilst there, we lost hope when we saw the champion bug-hammer heaving his mallet. He seemed to pitch it miles. When we got back to our own camp we practised the chariot race, and succeeded in getting a fairly proficient team up.

The afternoon arrived at last, and we

all trooped across to the Dewsbury field, where the sports were to be held. When the races started, there was not a spectator present. However, they quickly appeared, and, before the afternoon was very-far advanced, there were over thirty visitors in the field. Members of our troop came first in the hundred yards (open); matrimonial race; long jump; and the quarter-mile handicap. The Manchester’s won the relay-race, and also the chariot race. Most of the visitors received a pleasant surprise when they were served with afternoon tea. The weather was glorious and everybody had a splendid afternoon. A very good press account of the sports is shown above.

Immediately after the sports, we rushed through our tea, and then hurried down to the Parish Hall. There we witnessed the concert given by the Robin Hood’s Boy Preparatory School. The entertainment was very novel and interesting, and we all had a most enjoyable evening. The high standard displayed by the artists was hardly


We all went straight back to camp after the concert and we had a sing-song of our own. After the sing-song I discovered that I had a boil, and the A.S.M. fomented it for me. It was very much inflamed owing to me having fallen on it while making the winning jump in the running long jump.

As is usual on occasions when we are going on excursion, we were late out of bed on Thursday morning. There was a dickens of a rush, and I pity the poor orderlies. The Wolves got ten for tent inspection which was also hurried. After a short flag parade we filed off for our lunches, and then we rushed down to the station. We arrived there in good time to catch the 10.1am train for Scarboro’. Each carriage was fitted with a large mirror, and this was very acceptable to us, because we had not seen ourselves for a week. – I don’t know whether we missed anything!

Preparing for the fishing-grounds.

Richard III's Inn, Scarborough.

On our arrival at Scarborough we walked along the cliffs as far as the bathing pool in the South Bay. On the way back, we got entangled with the spa, and the steps we had to climb up to get out beat those leading to Whitby Abbey to a frazzle. We made our way back to the shore, and there was the A.S.M. who was in charge, treated us all to cream ices.

Disregarding the siren-like cries of the boatmen at the water’s edge, we walked along the beach until we came to the quay. We inspected the docks, and the fishing vessels, and we all sat down on the end of the quay in order to eat our lunch of “doorsteps”. The A.S.M. cruelly snapped us in the middle of the task.

Lunch being fairly well masticated, we staggered to our feet as best we could, and we were then dismissed, after the strict injunction that we were to meet at the Central Station at 3.45pm in order to catch the 4pm train.

The Harbour Offices Scarboro'.

Scarborough Castle - The Gun Crew.

Accordingly we went our several ways. One party, after inspecting all the shops of the town, reached a café, and there regaled themselves with ice cream sodas, cream ices, phosphates of Soda, and other concoctions peculiar to soda fountains. Others visited Scarborough Castle, while yet another party inspected the curios in the museum. The guide showing them round, was very humorous. “Do you know the story of the two wells?” asked he, thinking it was something new, we replied in the negative. I’ll leave you to imagine our feelings when he said “Well! Well!”.

When our train left Scarborough at 4 oclock, there were two scouts, Morris & Swift missing. The A.S.M. had to stay behind and came back with them on the next train which was two and a half hours later. As may be guessed, he was not in a very pleasant mood. It appeared that the two miscreants had been out on a motorboat which kept them out longer than they expected. The

Scarboro' from the south.

The Headland, from the quay.

dinner which awaited upon our return was one of the best meals of the camp.

In the evening we had our first fall of rain and we were thus, all confined to camp. To while away the evening a whist drive was held in the Peewits’ tent, whereas those who did not partake in it spent the evening in playing dominoes, draughts, chess, or in reading or writing. After prayers, a C.O.H. was unexpected called. I say it was unexpected – Two of us went in pyjamas, and none of the others were far from getting into bed. As may be guessed, the Court was held over the two scouts, Morris & Swift, a charge of negligence being brought against them. Details may not be expressed in this book, but they were ultimately released with a warning.

We sat up in the Officers’ Tent for some time, talking and joking, while the rain poured down outside. The gentleman at the cottage gave us quite a surprise. Suddenly, as we

were all talking, we heard somebody at the door of the tent. It was the chap from the house, all muffled up in oilskins. We did get a shock. However, we were soon smiling again, because he gave us some zinc sheets to put over the fireplace to keep it dry. He was even so kind as to offer to supply us with hot water the next day, if we should have any difficulty with the fire. I tell you it is worth camping, when you meet with such hospitality at that! Finally, getting tired, we said “Good night!” and then went to our tents.

Friday morning was not really pleasant, as far as the weather was concerned. However, in spite of the awkward interference of the rain, the Wolves got ten points for tent inspection. Fortunately the sky lifted, and the troop set off to Falling Foss conducted by Mr Wilkinson of Chetham’s College. I was unable to go, owing to the boil on my hip, and so I cannot give a description of this excursion. Brannen left


just before lunch, to go back to Manchester, where he had to sit for a music exam. Good luck to him!

Our prestige certainly received a blow in the evening. We played the junior Fylingdale cricket team, and received a hopeless whacking!

Us 30 all out. - Them 54 all out.

To make matters worse, it was a bitterly cold night, and we had to walk about a mile and a half back to camp in drizzling rain. However, it did not dampen our spirits.

Saturday again rolled up, and I was once more “super”. Pennnington, Flynn and Swift were my orderlies. Breakfast was rather novel, kippers being served instead of the customary bacon. A tent inspection the Wolves got 10. Les Kirkley went home in the morning. Most of the Scouts spent the morning in the village or on the shore.

On duty.

Our aspiring artists.

Dinner was also somewhat novel, consisting as it did, of chicken & ham, and salad. It was very acceptable. The afternoon was free, and a great many went fishing up Mill Beck. Need it be said that they were unsuccessful? The joke of it was that they use deep sea lines! The four Scouts from Chetham’s went to Whitby with Mr Wilkinson. The orderlies had a really pleasant afternoon, there being nothing to do.

No little amusement was caused when the A.S.M. and S.M. came out of their tent, armed with pencils, sketching blocks, and biscuit-tins (the latter to act as seats). They set to work with rare gusto, and with our hints, carefully dropped here and there, they made quite good sketches. The A.S.M. has consented to send a copy for our log-book. The afternoon was made very enjoyable through Lighton’s generosity with a slab of Watkin’s toffee. Pennington had a

parcel. Just before tea it began to thunder. It didn’t half rain, too! It came down in sheets, and then it started to hail. What a storm! Eventually it cleared up.

However, just while tea was being served we had another thunderstorm, and the meal was eaten in the pouring rain. From then on, it rained most of the night, and we built a shelter over the fire, out of the sheets of galvanised iron with which we had been presented on Thursday. In the middle of the evening Howarth turned up, and he took Kirkley’s place in the Owl tent.

Much amusement was caused when the cocoa was dished out (also in pouring rain). Everybody knows what a big chap Howarth is! Well he brought about the smallest mug in creation, and it became one of the standing jokes of the camp. The A.S.M.’s pipe was also a permanent fixture. I don’t think anybody saw him with it out of his mouth. The joke of it was,

Waiting for inspection

Inspection - Patrol alert.

that it was very seldom lit! After a short prayer we all cleared off to bed, and we had one of the coldest nights of the camp. (Brrrrr…)

We got up about nine oclock on Sunday, and there wasn’t half a rush. A good many complaints were made against the bacon, which was perfectly rotten. Then, to heap insult to injury we had to peel our own “spuds”!! Just to show what we can do when we like, I will give a description of tent inspection (for which we got ten points). It was take, by the way, by the A.S.M.

A.S.M.      good morning, Leader!
P.L.          “    “      Sir.
A.S.M.      very nice & tidy. Good morning. Stand at ease.
It took about three minutes for inspection, and then we fell in and marched down to church in the rain. Howarth was in charge of the Chapel party, which consisted mainly of Wolves, while the A.S.M. led the Church party.

Waiting for inspection.

Rather a thrilling event happened in the Chapel. We were in the gallery and I was sitting at the end of one of the front pews. When the collection was being taken, I stretched forward to put mine on the plate and, whilst drawing back, my arm knocked one of the hymn books over the edge. Several seconds elapsed. Then ---- Thud!! It had landed! Fortunately, there was nobody sitting underneath, and the incident only served to brighten up the service, which included a very nice address for our benefit. After the service we went on the beach and fed the anemones on limpets. It was very curious to watch the feelers of the anemones clutch at its victim, and suck the vitality from it. We then went back to camp for our own dinner.

Needless to say, we had good dinner (although Brownsett, the camp grouse, would not admit it), and the compulsory rest afterwards was absolutely necessary. Throughout

Whitby Abbey.

most of the rest we had rain, and a little thunder. Despite the effects of the dinner a fierce battle raged between the occupants of my tent all the afternoon. During part of the time I had them running round the field in their stocking feet while I threw all the boots and shoes I could find, at them.

A glorious view of Flamboro' Head is obtained from the cliffs, and one of the village boys, with whom we became very friendly, took us round there after Chapel in the evening. We also inspected the village gas-works, being comprised of three retorts. A bit of a baby besides the Bradford Road!!

Late again! Was the cry on Monday morning. We only got nine points for tent inspection, and of course we blamed the rush. A bus called for us at 10 oclock, and we went on it to Whitby. It deposited us near the docks, and our first impression of Whitby was anything

Caedman's Cross.

Compulsory Rest - Who said they don't feed us at camp?

but good. – The foulest of the foul smells struck our noses. It was from the half-dry mudbanks.

We first of all visited the museum and inspected all the relics of the days of Captain Cook. Among the possessions of the museum, was a number of large ammonites. Leaving here, we walked out along one of the arms of the harbour. We came back and walked along the shore. Feeling rather peckish, we climbed up the cliffs, and had lunch on top.

Lunch being masticated (and it was no easy matter!) we went back in the town. On the way we saw Capt. Cook’s statue and also the house in which he used to live, which is now occupied by two doctors. Going still further, we reached the Abbey, and, after climbing the 199 steps leading up to it, we stood at the feet of Caedman’s Cross. The guide showed us round the ruins, which were in a fine state of preservation. From the Abbey we


passed the Abbey House, which is now a Guest House belonging to the C.H.A. We were shown round this much to our disgust, for there was really nothing to see, except the old carved woodwork.

After leaving the Guest House we were dismissed for two hours. During that time, we explored the rest of the town. Some went boating, and some returned to the beach. Having in mind the mishap at Scarborough, there was no one late. I should think the bus broke all limits on the way back to camp. It did the journey of six miles in 10 minutes! On our return we found Brannen back in camp, and we all clambered round him, eager to know if things were just the same as usual in old Manchester.

Everyone was disappointed with the dinner, which appeared to consist of cabbage water, in which were floating numerous

pea and bean-skins. There were also several half-baked potatoes in it. However, we did not let that trouble us, and we ate our full. Whilst out in the evening we encountered a company of Girl Guides. They were not the only ones we saw by a long way. – (everywhere was literally swarming with scouts & guides), but I mention the fact because they were from Moss Side, which was a very strange coincidence. They were in camp at Staithes.

After lights-out, Howarth, Mundy and myself, feeling rather intrepid, went for an unauthorised midnight ramble, (This is really a secret, but it is quite safe to publish it, now that camp is over). It was a glorious moonlight night, and we had really thrilling time. We walked along the beach to Mill Beck. From there we climbed up and walked back along the cliffs, calling at the gas-works. One pun made by Howarth is worthy of note. On

Mundy tell him to beware of a fissure on the path. Howarth looked at it and remarked “For sure, its deep!”

We had another one in our tent on the sick-list on Tuesday morning. Brennen had a bilious attack, which, thank goodness, was not very bad. We got ten points for tent inspection. Immediately after flag-parade we all went to the rocket station. The coastguard met us there, and explained to us the working of the rocket apparatus as used in shipwrecks. It was very interesting but when one sees the amount of play that the rocket has in the rest, it is easy enough to believe that sometimes a dozen rockets have to be fired, before the desired object is gained. The fact that there is a lifeboat at Robin Hood’s Bay might also be mentioned here. To see all the apparatus neatly stowed away in the boat is a perfect lesson in tidyness.

The afternoon was booked for a

walk to Ramsdale Mill, but it was so hot, that it was cancelled by common consent, and we had a bathing parade instead. We all trooped down to the Mill Beck in a frightful state of undress, but we had a glorious bathe. While sitting on the slipway, after the bathe, we met a boy from our school, and the S.M. invited him up to camp to dinner consisting of roast lamb and peas, followed by semolina pudding. The evening was free, and we just went for a stroll.

Kippers again appeared for breakfast on Wednesday morning. Howarth was “super” and Yoxall was one of the orderlies. The Wolves got ten points for tent inspection. After flag parade, we were give our lunches, and a bus called for us. We were taken in the bus to Hawsker.

From Hawsker we walked over the fields to Ruswarp, which is on the

Waiting for the bus at Ruswarp.
Brannen is on the right.

R. Esk. There we found a boat-stage, and we all went on the river. We rowed a bit of the way up, and then pulled into the bank to have lunch. Whilst on the river we had several thrilling episodes. In one case, we passed very close to Lighton’s boat, and Whitworth stuck his oar up in the air, catching the former’s head and giving him quite a nasty smack. Fortunately, it did not kill him. Then again, I lost my oar once, and we had to paddle round with one; we grounded once and several times we had to be flat in the boat whilst we went under some overhanging trees. After an hour and a half of thrills, we came off.

On the way back to Ruswarp we inspected a flour mill, and we all came out covered with flour. It was very interesting, though after a rest we proceeded to walk slowly back to Hawsker. We arrived the in plenty of time, and had a game of whist whilst waiting for the bus.

Arrived back in camp, we had a bathing parade, but I stopped in the camp with several others. Whilst the bathers were away Mr Levi; (who, rumour has it, now calls himself Mchaver) paid us a visit, and had a look round. He was accompanied by his wife, and said that they had tramped across the Pennines, having come that day round the cliffs from Whitby. One would hardly have thought him to be the person who hammers history into us, he was so different to what he is at school.

Dinner consisted of “dollop”, followed by bread pudding. I must say, the latter was really good. The evening was free. We had a sing-song, and celebrated the Feast of Lanterns, by hanging lanterns up all round the camp. Brannen & I, however, missed this formality because we retired early owing to having chills. It was a fearfully icy-cold night. Yoxall joined us a little later, having had his foot scalded by someone dropping a cup of cocoa on it.

Before the feed.

Mundy was “super” on Thursday, Brannen being one of his orderlies. The last tent inspection was held, and we got ten points, thus losing the competition to the Hawks & the Swifts, who beat us by one point. The morning was spent in packing up, and during the course of it we had quite a good talk with A.S.M. about things in general. He said he had been in both the Territorials and the Regulars, so Watkin promptly asked him which one he was kicked out of.

Salad and chicken and ham were served for dinner, after which we went down to the village to buy in stores for the midnight feed. On our return we bathed in the sun until tea-time. We stayed in in the evening, and had, and some fun at the Auction Sale. After the sale we took down the “lats”, and tied them up.

We had a last-night sing-song round an enormous bon-fire. After that we had some fireworks and took a flashlight photo. This

was followed by prayers, and we all rushed to our tents. For this was the last night, and everybody knows what happens on the last night.

First of all, my patrol lined up outside our tent. I took the lead, carrying some cakes in a bag. We all marched into the Officer’s Tent, laid down the cakes, saluted, then marched out again, shaking hands with the S.M. and the A.S.M. as we went. It was quite a joke, all the ceremonial of it and it caused no end of amusement.

When we got back, we undressed, and settled down to have our feed. However, we just about got our fruit & cream out, when up trooped Fletcher of the Peewits, with the suggestion that we should have a bit of fun. So we got all the other patrols out, (except the Owls, who were near the S.M.’s tent) and went down to the far end of the field, dressed only in our pyjamas. Scout hats, and carrying our staves.

There we fell in twos, and marched across the field towards the Officer’s tent. On reaching it, we marched round it, singing carols. The S.M. and the A.S.M. came to the door of the tent and they nearly burst with laughing when they saw us. Getting dizzy , we finally marched off, singing “There is a tavern in the town”, and we went to our tents to carry on with our feed. Howarth, who was with the Owls, thought there was a raid on, and it roused his warlike blood, (as we were to find out later).

We got a bit more grub eaten, and we were going swimmingly when suddenly Mundy said, “Hush! What’s that? I’m sure I saw that wall fall in as though someone was loosening the “guys”. “You just look!” We all looked, and sure enough, the tent began to slacken. It made us all slightly “windy”, because we had some paper lanterns alight in our tent. However, we got up quietly, unlaced the door, and

I stood there.

rushed out just in time to see the Owls dashing on to the next tent. What we wanted was revenge, and suddenly we had an idea. We ran and let the Owls tent down whilst they were raiding the others. They were furious when they got back!

All was quiet for a while after that, and then we organised a concerted attack against the Owls. We advanced silently, until someone gave the show away, and then Howarth came charging out. I stood there whilst the great mountain of flesh rushed for me. Just as he reached me I stepped aside and tripped him. Before he knew where he was there were about half-a-dozen chaps on top of him. Then, these thrilling events received a sudden damper. The A.S.M. having been wakened by the row from his beauty sleep, rushed up, frantically blowing is whistle and ordering us back to bed. We retired, and finished our grub, despite the fact

that Brennan was sick, and Swift & Flynn had toothache.

Thinking that everything was over we settled down again. However, Mundy, whose hearing is extraordinary, (I think it must be because of his glasses) soon detected the sound of somebody moving near the tent. We all went to the door and had a look. There we saw a solitary figure, standing black and motionless against the sky. We watched it for several minutes, but it did not move, until, suddenly, some bright individual discovered that it was Howarth. He had come for his glasses, which we had captured during the raids.

After this, Flynn and I developed a thirst, so we went down to the tap, and quenched it. On the way down, the latter stumbled against the “guys” of the hike tent, and I thought that it was going to start another raid. The hike tent, as ought to have been mentioned

before, was shared by two scouts from the poverty stricken mining areas of Durham. They were P.L.s Irwin and Jones, and we entertained them at our expense for the fortnight. They were jolly nice fellows, and we were sorry to lose them at the end of the camp.

On our way back from the tap we heard Fletcher advising his Peewits to “Slip it acrorst someone,”, and so thought there were going to be some more escapades. However, nothing eventful happened, and we fell asleep about half past one or two oclock.

The last day had arrived at last, and we were awakened on Friday morning by the tent falling in on us, the culprit being Howarth (as one might expect). We extricated ourselves as best we could, and we packed our tent, being the first to have it labelled and completely packed.

Having thus attended to the troop property, we next turned our attention to ourselves.

A wash.

We had a wash, and then packed our kit, rushing through it in order to be ready for breakfast, when it was served. William was the “super” and eggs were served (I remember that! – I had four!). After breakfast the boxes were packed, and everything was made ready for the cart, which arrived promptly. The luggage was loaded on it, and while it was being taken down to the station, we cleaned up the field. That done, we all went down to the station, taking the kit-bags in the trek-cart.

At the station we found that we had to wait before for the train arrived, so we all had last farewell stroll, round the village. When we got back to the station we found that the luggage van was already in the siding, so we loaded our tackle, and waited for the train. We did have to wait too! The train arrived in at the station twenty minutes late, and, after saying “Goodbye”

to our friends from Newcastle, who went in the direction of Whitby, we boarded it. But you ought to have seen the engine! When it steamed in, the cover of the safety valve was trembling like a jelly, and a second look showed that there was not a single screw in it! Then just to put the lid on everything, the rumour got round that the brakes were defective. In the end, we began to wonder if we would ever reach Scarborough.

However, as soon as we had a glance round our reserved coach we felt at ease. It was such a lovely massive affair. It was one of the old fashioned coaches, and there was “bags” of room for us. There were about three of us to each compartment, as well as the length of the corridor in which to stretch our legs.

Everything went swimmingly for a while, and we all crowded at the windows to have a last glimpse of the old spot. We

were just getting settled down when we reached the tunnel leading up into Ravenscar. We entered it and the engine started puffing, because there is quite a big incline. The speed gradually lessened, and just as we were about the centre of the tunnel the train came to standstill. It remained at a standstill for several minutes, presumably to get up steam, and we were quite relieved when it got underway once more.

Our spirits received a blow when one smart chap made the statement that we were travelling backwards. Suddenly, to our amazement, we found that he was right, because we emerged from the tunnel at the same entrance as that which we went in, and we came to a stop about a quarter of a mile down the slope. There the driver & fireman got out, and slipped of the latter half of the train (we were next to the engine). We then steamed off, leaving the other carriages standing

forlornly on the line. We were taken to Ravenscar and left there whilst the engine went back for the rest of the train. After again joining up, we went on to Scarborough which we reached without mishap.

On our arrival we found that we had kept the connection waiting for ten minutes, and owing to us having to be shunted, we left Scarborough fifteen minutes later.

But now we were all right, and we never stirred again until we reached Manchester. In fact, a walk along the corridor showed that the majority spent the journey asleep – as an example of “the morning after the night before” feeling.

Camp Verses - (by the S.M.)

On Friday last we pitched our tents,
Near the Bay of Robin Hood,
And then we gathered round the fire,
To eat our well-earned grub.


The village is a charming place,
With many lovely sights,
But the finest sight of all to me
Is a girl named Fanny Bright!


She lives just near the coastguard’s house
That overlooks the bay;
But who she likes the best of all
Is more than I can say.


The sports were voted quite a treat
And published far and wide,
But when the guests got all the cake
I felt I could have cried.


Jack Jennings raced away like mad,
And gave a fine display.
But all the others did their best
And helped us win the day.


We had a fright the other day
Whilst bathing in the sea, -
There came a monster (so we thought)
Just for a little tea!


It snapped its horrid jaws like this -
And made me give a scream,
But when I woke up in the morn
I found it all a dream!


On Thursday we to Scarborough went,
To see the sights galore.
But when we counted up at night.
We wanted two Scouts more.


The A.S.M. raced up and down
With now and then a D----
And was informed by other scouts,
The culprits were at sea.


They landed three hours late,
And missed a well-cooked dinner
But they stuffed themselves well up with bread,
So they didn’t look any thinner.


We held a C.O.H. on them,
When supper had been eaten
And though they both deserved it well,
They were not even beaten.


The tea and coffee are A1
The cocoa I like too,
But I curse the scout who gently pours
The cocoa in my shoe.


After a fortnight of jolly good camping,
We packed our tents and departed,
Feeling and looking better by far,
Than the day on which we started.


Membership Card



Shortly after uploading this site, Rob Brannen, the son of Brannen mentioned on numerous occasions by Jack Jennings, found this page and contacted me. It was thought worthwhile to add his emails to this page as it gives additional background to Jack's story.

Received 28th May 2015. Dear Julian: Searching for traces of my father on the internet, I came across your Uncle Jack's scout log that you posted.

My Dad was indeed the 'Brannen' that is referred to throughout and of whom Jack remarks 'is truly very funny at times' - and he was known for his great sense of humour until his death in 2005 - same year as Jack.

It's a wonderful diary and meant so much to me to read and imagine my Dad as a young boy scout - he is the first on the right in the 'waiting for the bus at Ruswarp' photograph. Dad left a number of photos of his Manchester scout days, including camps - Jack may be on some of them.

Thanks for taking the time to post the diary - it's a great piece of history and an amazing discovery for me. I had not seen a photograph of my Dad when he was younger than 20 before today. It was really moving to see that young boy. Best wishes

Received 30th May 2015. Dear Julian and Joy, Thanks for getting back to me. Since my initial email, I've 'zoomed-in' and found Dad kneeling at the centre of the 'Manifold Valley Camp' photo and third from the left on the 'Inspection - patrol alert' photo! A wonderful surprise!

Manchester Central High School building, where Dad, and I'm presuming Jack, went to School and gave the Troop their name is now Shena Simon Campus of Manchester College on Sackville Street - which runs parallel to Oxford Road in the centre of Manchester.

Bernard was born on 12th October 1915, so aged 12 when Jack wrote his diary - the youngest of 10, 5 boys and 5 girls! The family grew up on Hyde Road (so close to Belle Vue zoo that Dad could hear the sea-lions from his bed) where their Mum ran a shop. Bernard's Dad was a porter at London Road station - now Piccadilly. Bernard worked in the Universal Stores on leaving school and after the war had a clothes outlet on Piccadilly Square. He became involved in the Manchester Unity and Merseyside Unity workers theatre groups, and as a consequence had a mid-life change of direction - training to be a teacher at the age of 36, where he met my Mum, 18 years his junior. He went on to teach English, PE, Music, Maths and Drama at Manchester High School of Art, next door to Strangeways prison. As the school was near Granada TV studios he became friendly with people who worked their and during retirement popped up on TV occasionally - particularly the Mrs Merton Show, like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N9Dxq_H8Jw (BTW - he doesn't have a sister in Canada - it's all rehearsed!) Best wishes Rob Brannen